This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

In a message dated 5/16/01 6:33:18 AM Pacific Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

> Don't assume a horse is gelded because he is inferior. Horses are gelded to
> become using horses. Using horses are the ones out there consistently
> performing in sport, in pleasure, in work. They are the breed ambassadors.
> They say that dressage is a gelding's sport. This is because a gelding is so
> consistent. Nothing beats a "great gelding".

How I agree.  I had a splendid, strong, smart Arab.  At eighteen months I had
him gelded (still remember the sound that made and that was back in 1977!!!)
"If" I had kept him entire, he would have helped produce other splendid,
strong, smart Arabs.  Boyd Zontelli used to ride across the property we lived
on and would tell me my horse would be a great endurance horse (I didn't
realize what a compliment this was till I realized that at that point he had
won two Tevis Cups!)  Anyway, I had him gelded because I felt his daddy was
doing a great job of putting this type of horse on the ground.  And somebody
else could have the headache of breeding stallions, I'd ride!

Then there was my dear friend who liked my Arab so much that she had to go
out and buy one.  He had a pretty face, very typy body and was calf kneed to
the extreme.  Some other conformation problems, that were relatively serious,
in my book.  She kept him a stallion.  Luckily she didn't breed him, but why
not geld him?   I dunno.  Ego?

Anyway, I guess my point is, though I have none in my herd right now, I've
known some fabulous geldings that would have made good stallions too.  In
fact, Lisa has one that I'm pining for.   <g>

Pamela