This message is from: Jean Ernest <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I certainly agree...I don't like obese fjords.  I keep mine pretty happy
feeding them several small meals a day, about 6 times when I am at home.  A
major hay feeding at 6:00 am, a mid morning hay snack, A noon feeding
(fairly large in the winter, just a snack in the summer.)  A mid afternoon
snack, if they got their lunch at noon:  If I didn't get back from town
till maybe 2:00 I often just feed the lunch then and wait till 5:00 for
their "supper" hay feeding or 6:00  if they had a snack at 3:00.  In the
evening they get their little bit of grain and some more hay, ending up at
about 10:00 PM  Right no I am feeding only about 1 1/4 bale GRASS HAY for
the four fjords per day plus their bit of grain, vitamions and carrots.
That's about 15 lbs of hay each per day spread out over 6 feedings. Nobody
is skinny (in my eyes, I can hardly FIND a rib) but they look good.  I
think spreading the hay feedings througout the day keeps them happy and
keeps their gut moving.  Of course if you work all day you can't do this.

Jean in sunny Fairbanks, ALaska, where it is warming up, +20F

 In
>order to keep fjords looking good It seems one must starve them . The blue
>grass lets them eat with out making them fat. I beleave they are happier&
>healthier.
>With 19 fjords here I check daily  all the horses condition.  I don't like
>the look of Obese fjords to put it mildly. I just saw a filly I sold two
>years ago, her full sister on our farm is astoundingly beautiful. Her sister
>was shockngly ugly with a huge neck wide back. I have seen it happen too
>many times
>fjords do not promote the breed. it takes a  long time to recondition an
>obese fjord they can only work a very limited time.

Jean Ernest
Fairbanks, Alaska
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]