This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

In a message dated 3/15/2003 10:42:10 PM Pacific Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> The reason it attacked the mare? She foaled 48 hours later - he had
> been circling her
> pen for several days - I saw the tracks near the water tank, then I saw
> him at dawn one morning, and warned the mare's owner.  I think the smell
> of impending birth gave him the idea of an easy meal - enclosed area with
> sage brush cover and nearby arroyo, mare down, new foal, blood, etc.

Wow, what a scary thought. So glad her instincts kicked in (no pun intended!)
and she flattened her would-be predator.

The canine you described could be a dog or a hybrid. A while back I met a
woman at a client's house. She was the elderly home-care nurse and I was the
cat sitter. She told me all about her dogs in the Philippines, especially the
one she called Bokidnan (my guess at spelling). His name means "from the
mountains" and she described him as looking and acting like a "native dog."
>From her description he sounded like a possible wild canine cross.

Shortly before I moved the Fjords from the Coast, a mountain lion paid them a
visit during the night. The property owners were terrified. They described in
detail how the animal explored the area, even going into the barn! Strangely,
my horses were not bothered in the least after this incident. I got the
distinct impression that this was a young animal, hungry, inexperienced,
looking for new territory (a time when at least 50% die). I suspect the
horses knew they could easily fend off this animal, that it was no match for
a herd of healthy adults.

Brigid Wasson
SF Bay Area, CA
 <A HREF="http://www.ourfjords.freeservers.com/fjord1/Our_Fjordsx.html";>Our