[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> > 1 tsp. of garlic added to grain for the
> > days from when the New Moon begins to when the Full Moon appears has
> worked
> > well for my horses and dogs.  I know you guys think I'm a lunatic but I'm
> > happy, healthy one!!!
>
> Are you giving your horses garlic to worm them?  I have heard of people
> giving that to ward off flies, but not for worming.  I understand that,
> given to horses over time, garlic can actually be lethal since it contains
> something that builds up toxicity in horses.  Horses are NOT dogs.  It is
> OK for dogs to ward off fleas as I understand it.  Maybe it would be good
> for you to do a bit more research regarding feeding garlic to horses before
> continuing that practice?  In the meantime, at least they won't bet bitten
> by any vampires!  LOL!
>
> I try to stay in touch with the moon and other cycles. Every year I hear
> people say, "ooh, my horse is shedding early this year, it's not even warm
> (or cold, depending on time of year) yet!" I respond, "Solstice!" My boys
> blow their coats religiously (another double meaning!) starting the
> following
> day.
>
> I, too, have noticed over the years that Fjords are more sensitive to the
> solstices than any other breed that I've ever been around.  We participated
> in the Astoria, OR Scandinavian Festival last summer.  It was held during
> the summer solstice.  I mentioned to the gals that it'd be about 5 minutes
> and our horses would start blowing their coats in preparation for winter.
> SURE ENOUGH!  A couple of days later the horses had begun shedding.  It can
> be 105 degrees in the shade and they're getting winter coats!!

Feb. seems to be the worst winter weather month here in OR.  Chilly and
sometimes even freezing at night, but the Fjords are blowing the long guard
hair like crazy.  Lots of 'Fjord angels' all over the arena dirt after they
have been turned out to have a good roll!  We've been spitting hair balls for
a month!

Gayle Ware
Field of Dreams
Eugene, OR