This message is from: "Ursula & Brian Jensen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

There is no age restriction on having your horse evaluated for conformation
and the info garnered by the experience is invaluable to the breeder or
owner....a learning opportunity
I don't agree that a video evaluation would be helpful...in fact, I think it
would dummy down the evaluation process. Our North American Evaluation System
is in it's infancy and credibility is a priority. I believe the process would
be watered down by informal evaluations such as video or casual farm visits.
 A breeder that is serious about the Fjord breed and potentially what he
produces, must become informed and educated. Attending evaluations is a must
to develop an eye for which animal is a possible candidate for breeding
stock...those are the animals that would benefit from further inspection by
qualified evaluators at an Evaluation.
To develop an 'eye', it is important to see many many horses and many
different types.(not just your own) This takes time...Carol tells us that she
has a good eye but I bet she didn't have that when she first started out (how
many years ago ?) It has taken time and seeing (probably) thousands of
Fjordhorses both in N.A, Holland, Norway etc.,reading about pedigrees, asking
questions, watching videos and going to Evaluations.That requires great
fortitude and energy and comes at a price.
I agree, that videos are a learning tool but do not believe in using them to
evaluate....the quality of footage would have to be regulated and much would
have to be considered...It would also discourage people from attending serious
evaluations ...why buy the cow when you can get the milk cheap. It would allow
the breeder to once again operate in a vacuum. We want people to separate
themselves emotionally from their horses to get a serious and unbiased opinion
of their stock and then make informed decisions.
There is nothing stopping anyone from applying to hold a 'Conformation Only'
evaluation or even young stock evaluation, in their area as long as you have
the numbers to make it worthwhile. Conformation evaluation does not have an
age pre-requisite.(only performance)
Catherine, some good points.

Ursula

Ursula & Brian Jensen