This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hello!
  This is something I've thought about for sometime.  It basically started
last summer when I had someone describe MY stallion as drafty, when that
thought has NEVER came to mind to me when I look at him.   I have recently
looked at some photos of other people's fjords, where they have described
them as drafty type and I haven't thought that. I'm wondering....what makes
one think or feel one horse over another is "DRAFTY" ?   It's been awhile
since I've read over the standard, and I could dig it out and go over it
again, but I thought I'd get an opinion on this here.
What do people feel is the line between Drafty and a more athletic build?
Are people judging by the thickness of bone, by the depth of girth & hip, or
what?  Just wondering what one persons idea of Drafty is against another's.
Food for thought :)
I myself have 7 fjords, ranging from the drafty to what I call athletic, but
who knows....maybe I have ALL drafty type and don't realize it or vice versa
:)  Not that it really matters to me.  My draftiest fjord is my main trial
riding horse, one I've paraded, and one I've attempted to show :)   He has
never been taught to drive or pull (I've raised him from a foal and at the
time just wanted a riding horse)  He stands 13.2 tall, and in good working
shape (which isn't always) he weighs 1,100 lbs. He's pretty wide - at least
5- 6 inc. between his front legs, deep barrel, and his bone measures 8.5''
he is what I consider "drafty".    Now my stallion is a totally different
build.  He is 14.2, 960 lbs, has a smaller barrel, leggier, with huge bone
-big hocks and knees. Very in proportion. He's mainly used for driving,
though we have been working him under saddle - goal - dressage :) I consider
him athletic.  I did however have a mare owner argue with me that he was
DRAFTY.  I see nothing 'drafty' about him.  So I have realized there are a
lot of different interpretations of what "drafty" means.... But what is
right???  I don't want this to turn into an argument over differences of
opinions...but I would be interested in what other opinions on this are.
Thanks!
Aimee Day
in COLD, BITTER, FREEZING- Maine!!!!!