This message is from: Jean Ernest <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I wonder about this, too..Maybe they feel more important saying they have a
less common breed.  I know that one lady here bought a 1/4 fjord 3/4
quarterhorse who had some Fjord coloring but was a darker red brown.  I
knew the breeding of this horse, had see her dam, 1/2 Fjord,1/2 Quarter
horse, who was bred to a red dun quarterhorse stallion to produce this
"quarter Fjord".  So why did she INSIST on calling this mare a "FJORD"?
She was mostly quarterhorse!  When I kept saying this was only 1/4 Fjord,
she got pissed.  "Quarter-Fjord" would have been very accurate!

The Quarterhorse folks wouldn't allow this horse to compete as a
quarterhorse either.

Jean in Fairbanks, ALaska  +10F

>I saw that although they had the typical fjord hair cut, these two "fjord"
>geldings were so dark they look more bay than dun. I commented on this, and
>asked who she was getting them from. She told me she was buying them from
[So
>and So], a guy that I just happen to know breeds crosses, and that "Oh,
well,
>their mother was a Quarter horse".
>
>This is the kind of thing that puts me (and I assume a lot of others) off so
>much about the whole crossbreeding issue.  Why, for goodness sake, didn't
she
>just say she was getting Fjord & Quarter Crosses?
Jean Ernest
Fairbanks, Alaska
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]