This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hello,

> I would imagine that some markers are predominent-- just as the crossbred
> product is ALWAYS stamped with the Fjord appearance, so might it be

I am by no means an expert in genetics, but I have always wondered how one
could cross a "coldblood" with a "hotblood" and be successful.

We rescued an Arabian mare about 4 years ago.  She was friendly, curious,
attentive...but SO much different from the Fjords!  Her body language was
extreme and for about the first month or so, when she was trying to
say..."this is MY hay!"....the Fjords were thinking she was broadcasting some
sort of catastrophic event.

A Fjord's body language is quite subtle when compared to some of the other
breeds, for instance, a slight laying back of the ears, mock "charge", and
they have worked out their pecking order.  The Arabian mare would go through
these fits of pinning her ears, barring her teeth, doing this odd snaky thing
with her neck, serious charging...and kicking.

So, I have to wonder if mixing these two breeds, with such different behavior
patterns, wouldn't cause problems in the offspring?

I have a very tiny "Classic" Shetland that is, what I consider, a perfect
example of poor crossbreeding.  The Classic Shetlands have Hackney mixed with
them to produce "leg action".  This little girl has a few Hackney ancestors
and she is truly a little brute.  Do not get me wrong, she is smart,
curious....but she is SO high-strung she is difficult to work with.  She will
literally go off the deepend for no apparent reason.  For her, she goes from
calm to IMMEDIATE flight response.  No warning, just gone.  However, with
some of the newer Shetlands, they do not necessarily turn and run, their
immediate response is to rear.  I cannot count the times either myself, Dan,
or our vet have ended up having an armful of Classic Shetland!

And before anyone says...repetition, experience, etc.....trust me, we have
done this over and over with her.  She is a bundle of nerves and was BRED to
be so.

It is not her fault.  She tries to the best of her ability, but she will
never be able to be around a child, and why would people breed a pony that
cannot be around a child?

Because of how very calm Fjords are and with their subtle body language, even
if one did wish to crossbreed, I cannot see how this type of personality
could be easily matched to another breed for a positive outcome regarding
temperament.  Of course, I still do not understand WHY one would want to in
the first place.  Of course, this is just my opinion on the matter!

Lynda