This message is from: Marsha Jo Hannah <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Martie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> Of the first three trainers I
> contacted,  none were willing to work with us.  I finally went to a
> women who trains mainly draft horses, but also some light breeds.  She
> worked with us, commenting on how 'drafty minded' Kilar was and what a
> nice attitude he had for driving [...]
> it seems like a lot of trainers just won't touch the Fjords.  None of
> the first folks I contacted would give me a reason - just 'I don't work
> with Fjords or Halflingers.  [...]'

Those of us who have longeared equines run into a similar problem---I
had to be the one to train my donkey to drive, because there weren't
any trainers around who would work with donkeys.  I decided that some
trainers just couldn't figure out how to work with an equine that was
more intelligent than the trainer....  ;-)

Seriously, Fjords (and donkeys) seem to have a different thought
process than most light-horse breeds.  A trainer that knows one and
only one way to interact with equines isn't going to take kindly to
having a pupil for which that method doesn't work well.

IMHO, if a trainer tells you that he "doesn't do Fjords", you should
thank him profusely for not wasting your time!

Marsha Jo Hannah                Murphy must have been a horseman--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               anything that can go wrong, will!
15 mi SW of Roseburg, Oregon