This message is from: "Mike May, Registrar NFHR" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

At 03:22 PM 12/28/2002 -0700, you wrote:
This message is from: "Gordon Fulton & Geri McNeil" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Yes it is a nice theory to have no crossbreds but it is a bucket with so many
holes that you're out of water before you get to the fire.
How have you in the USA solved this problem?

Gordon Fulton

I wish I could say we have solved it Gordon but that I am afraid is just "Pie in the Sky" so to speak. The NFHR does have a rule against crossbreeding with a penalty for it. Here is our rule regarding crossbreeding:

In the interest of protecting the genetic purity and the highest standards of the Fjord horse, we will withdraw from the Norwegian Fjord Horse Registry any mare or stallion that is used for crossbreeding with another breed or species. Violators will have their membership suspended and will lose all membership privileges including registration, transfer of horses and any voting rights. The names of owners and horses will be placed on the suspended list.

Here is the rule regarding inbreeding:

Inbred horses foaled after January 1986 can not be registered. This includes: mother to son, father to daughter, brother to sister and half-brother to half-sister.

Norwegian Fjord Horse Registry
Mike May, Executive Director & Registrar
PO Box 685
Webster, NY  14580-0685

Voice 585-872-4114
FAX 585-787-0497