This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

In a message dated 12/26/02 1:08:32 PM Pacific Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> .  Learning how to "give the horse little jobs to
> do", especially the "calm down cues", is also valuable.

Well said Marsha.

List member Dagrun taught me how to do these things with my boys. In the past
I would sit there in the saddle, holding my breath, hoping for no problems!
As you noted, this can leave one sitting in midair minus the horse ;-D

"Keeping busy" works especially well for Rafael who is easily worried. Dagrun
rode him just before it became stormy here in CA. After one big gallop to the
gate (which she ignored) he decided she wasn't so bad after all! She did lots
of bending exercises, using the reins and legs, releasing often with lots of
praise. I was amazed at how he not only relaxed, but clearly enjoyed the
lesson. When we were finished and Rafael went back to the pasture, he spent
the rest of the day at the gate asking to come out again!

Brigid M Wasson
San Francisco Bay Area, CA
 <A HREF="http://ourfjords.freeservers.com/fjord1/Our_Fjordsx.html";>Our </A><A
HREF="http://ourfjords.freeservers.com/fjord1/Our_Fjordsx.html";>Fjords</A>