This message is from: Marsha Jo Hannah <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> "Reena G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> There is really no 'bombproof' horse, Fjord or otherwise and if
> anyone tells you so.......?  I think they're alot that don't spook
> at most things but to Expect them to NEVER spook, well I don't
> think it happens....

Agreed!  I have a Fjord gelding who is probably as close to bombproof
as a horse gets.  But, I have discovered that simply means that when
something happens, he stops, freezes in place, and considers whether
the new thing is really a monster, or not.  Most of the time, his
experience and intelligence lead him to conclude that it's no biggie,
and he carries on.

But, on the rare occasions when he decides there is A Problem, he can
whirl and exit stage left, VERY suddenly.  "Spooky" horses tend to
give one lots of warning that they're becoming upset; I have not been
able to pick up any warnings when Sleepy decides that it's now time to
depart.  Needless to say, this leaves me "sitting in mid-air", as the
horse vanishes out from under me.  (It's amazing how athletic that
pudgy boy can be!)  It doesn't happen very often, but it certainly
doesn't do my "riding nerves" any good when these "unplanned
dismounts" do happen!

Someone once told me that riding is a "contact sport".  You're going
to get bumps and bruises; it just goes with the territory.  Take
lessons from someone who will teach you the emergency dismount and how
to roll with a fall.  Learning how to "give the horse little jobs to
do", especially the "calm down cues", is also valuable.

Marsha Jo Hannah                Murphy must have been a horseman--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               anything that can go wrong, will!
15 mi SW of Roseburg, Oregon