This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Dear Readers,

My boys use gee (right) and haw (left) the same for our fjords as our dog
team.  Most Alaskan start the dogs using "hike" and not hollywoods "mush"
command.  Anyhow enough on dog mushing trivia.

I'm curious if there is a  general consensus  on how much a pregnant mare needs
for water if the temperature is around zero degrees and we are not working the
animals.  We don't have electricity and so carry the water out twice a day and
feed 3 - 4 times daily.  Thus far we are averaging about 6 gallons per animal.
Is there an increased incidence of colic if there are too many ice pieces in
the water.  Do the requirements change much if it is 40 degrees below zero?  We
hand carry water from a local creek and so we don't leisurely waste any drop.

 Its really a question that is inherently simple in one sense:  You water until
the animal stops drinking.  We know for example in humans that thirst is
beautifully and intricately regulated through hormones and salt regulation
between the brain, kidneys and adrenals.  But my concern is at minus forty I
selfishly want to get the job done when watering cause its miserably cold and I
might be missing the clues from mares when they are a little on the dry side.
Thank you.  Danita Koehler  Alaska