This message is from: "Salt Lick Stables" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

 I may have been the first to use (or misuse) the term 'backyard breeder' in
this ongoing discussion concerning Fjord prices.  No derogation was intended
  It is a term that has long been used in the industry to refer to small
breeders who choose not to promote their stallions - which they generally
maintain for the service of their own mares and an occasional contract mare.
 Many, like myself, do not even own stallions.  We rely on purchased stud
services to produce two or three foals each year.

Being a small breeder does not imply ineptitude.  Some of the QH Legend
sires were the product of such small breeding concerns.  Many Fjord breeders
in the US are 'small breeders' - it does not necessarily follow that their
stock is not of good quality.

However, at least in the AQHA and APHA industry, the ever increasing number
of small breeders translates on some level to lower pricing - in many cases
because the small breeder cannot always afford to maintain a large sales
list and 'culling' their herd to reduce the drain on their farm budget is of
paramount importance.  A 'reduced price' does not have to mean 'poor quality
.

Though I beg pardon for the offensive term, 'backyard breeder', I still
believe that, as more individuals engage in small farm breeding, the Fjord
market will ultimately feel the impact.  Historically, the same has happened
in most other rare livestock markets and will continue to do so.  That is,
if we all survive the stock market ;-)

Jo Larson
New Mexico

[demime 0.99c.8 removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of
IMSTP.gif]