This message is from: "Nancy Hotovy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Jean -

I can relate to your problems with your horse with heaves.  I gave 2 of my
horses heaves (that's right, it was my fault).  I used to order sawdust by the
truckload and kept it in the barn.  When the wind blew (which is quite
frequent on the top of a hill) the whole barn would be dusty.  You would think
I would be smarter.  Anyway my two I kept in the barn the most got very
heavey.  I tried all kinds of meds from Dexamethasone to Ventipulmin.  These
worked very well, except they are very expensive and Dexamethasone isn't good
to use long term, especially if you want to breed your mare.

First thing, I quit using sawdust and went to bagged shavings.  2nd - Put the
horses outside 24 hours a day.  They have a run in shelter.  3rd - Fed Reba
alfalfa cubes (or pasture) for the past 2 - 3 years.  I use a small bucket and
put 2 - 3 small coffee cans full and fill 2/3 water.  The cubes soak up the
water by the next feeding and are soft and dust free.  She does very well on
these and as anyone who has seen her can tell you, she is not thin!  I've had
no breathing problems since.

Only problem I had was at the Midwest Horse Fair last year.  The Midwest Fjord
Horse Club had one stall for feed and one for tack.  I left my pail of cubes
in the feed stall and the next morning Sheryl Monheim wanted to know why
someone had put a bucket full of  _ _ _ _ in the feed stall.  Caused quite a
laugh for the rest of the weekend!

Nancy Hotovy
www.upperforty.com