This message is from: Janet McNally <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I am new to Fjords and new to breeding horses, so cannot pass on what I think is
ideal, I am just learning that now.  But in support of Don's letter,  I do want
mention a few things that I have learned via other species regarding selecting
for
conformation, temperment, and soundness.

There are two aspects to conformational ideals;   one is how form relates to
function, the other is simply beauty.  I think in breeding animals, we humans
get
the two goals  mixed up a great deal.  There are some aspects to body structure
that are important to a long life of service, or that may be correlated to
temperment.   But very often  we focus on aspects that are purely desired
because
we find it nice to look at.  Sometimes we confuse the difference between
form/function and beauty.

A wise old cattle breeder once told me, that if you want to see what a good cow
looks like, go find an old cow,  that has produced out on the range all her life
and held up as a sound productive animal.  That is what a good cow looks like.
think this advice is valuable in every species.

As an example of form vs function... in dogs, we so often  say a wide chest, and
straight legs as ideal.  The argument presented is that such a dog will hold up
travelling over long distances.  But look at wild wolves, they often are quite
narrow in the chest, toe out, and are cow hocked in the rear.  Yet wolves easily
travel 50 miles per day routinely, and have been known to travel 500 or more
miles
in just a couple of weeks.  I bet very few of our 'perfectly  built' domestic
dogs
would hold up to that kind of travelling.  In sheep and cattle, studies have
found
that the cow hocked animals can move longer and further than the showring
animals
with 'correct' hind legs.    I believe that we have confused beauty with
functional
structure in these animals.

I use various breeds of livestock guarding dogs on our farm to keep the wolves
out
of our sheep (Tatra, Maremma, Anatolian).  Some of my dogs come from stock that
were imported from farms in Europe.  They are not pretty to look at, have
various
(presumedly) conformational flaws but they do their job very well because they
have
the right disposition (i.e. do not chase sheep, stay with their sheep, and are
protective of their sheep).  Other dogs have come from American dog breeders,
who
buy dogs in Europe and then try to 'improve' upon the conformation that European
shepherds have 'neglected'.  I have found some of these 'improved' dogs to have
more soundness problems, and are not as reliable (i.e. not good working
temperment).   I am beginning to connect that some temperment qualities are
related
to certain types of body build, and that some breeders are selecting for the
wrong
structure because it is more 'beautiful' thus inadvertently producing more and
more
dogs that are not suited tempermentally to their work.

It will be a long time before I learn how form/function/ and disposition relate
each other in the Fjord, but in defence of Don's point, we certainly can have
animals that are functionally sound with good dispositions, but they may not be
what we think is pretty.  I have to agree that without a good working
disposition
the rest is pointless.   When you get into a bind out on a slippery mountain
slope,
or along a busy high way, a calm,  sensible horse is going to be the most
important
thing in the world to you.

Janet W McNally