This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

It's interesting to get the viewpoints of this situation from everyone - as
everyone has some really good key issues to mention.
Being more familiar with the Friesian situation too, I've always been curious
regarding one issue not often addressed with the importing situation. ( Using
the Friesian as an example) I've never quite understood why breeders and
enthusiastic breed fans, feel the constant need to import horses.  I
understand why importing is done (most usually to incorporate new bloodlines
and new stock - which any good, careful breeder would do) but never fully
understood the phenomena surrounding it.  It's almost as if importing is your
only option, when wanting a "purest of the pure, quality-quality" horse.
There's a reason why we have the keuring and approval process (especially
approving stallions for breeding) for breeds such as the Friesian and to not
hold that in value, does a great injustice to what American breeders are
encouraging.
I knew a Friesian breeder from Pennsylvania (a friend bought a mare through
him) who sold many good horses.  He had stated at one time, that many people
from the states put too much emphasis and value on the word "import".  The
foreign market he thinks, has picked up on the American import demand and
he's found more than one shady foreign breeder trying to meet it.  Just
because they come from a foreign country, doesn't mean they're perfect or mee
t the ideal breed standard.  What's scary, is those who know this and buy one
of these horses (because of the low cost, or whatever) - then come back to
the states to resell and stick that label on their horse, "imported".  In
America, a less that really knowledgeable person might pay far more than what
the horse is actually worth (in breed value).
I guess my question could be narrowed down to this: why, when there are
breeders here in the states striving for pure, top quality horses (that have
imported and use quality imported stock in their breeding program), do many
people still feel that importing a horse is the only way to go, when getting
a "ideal original"?

I hope I didn't create a wave of controversy on this subject, as my goal
isn't to dissuade people from importing.  My key point to contribute - be the
most educated, careful, and scrupulous buyer/owner you can be.

Gretchen
Chandler, AZ