This message is from: Steve McIlree <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

  Normally, I don't want discussion of viruses on the list. However,
  since apparently one or more people on this list have been infected
  by the Klez and Bugbear worms, I'll address it and then we can drop
  the subject. I have been receiving two to six messages every day for
  the past four days containing one or the other of these worms; and I
  gather others on the list are having the same experience. The list
  server has also been receiving several messages every day generated
  by one of these worms; most are stopped by server filters because
  they purportedly come from addresses not subscribed to the list. The
  one that made it through had been defanged by the demime filter on
  the server. Both of these worms build their E-mail carriers from
  random information contained on the infected system's hard drive.
  Almost all of the messages I have received have contained
  information that would have come from old messages or addresses of
  people on this list, hence my supposition that the infected
  system(s) belong to subscribers of FjordHorse List. If you have some
  version of Windows and you are not running anti-virus software with
  up-to-date virus definitions, please go on the assumption that YOUR
  SYSTEM IS INFECTED. Beyond sending out E-mails that attempt to
  infect your friends' systems, Bugbear also opens a backdoor on YOUR
  machine that will allow hackers to take complete control of it over
  the Internet. Please get either Norton or McAfee anti-virus software
  up and working on your system and then let them scan your drives for
  infection. For current information about these two worms see the
  links below at Symantec's (Norton) security center.

  http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
  http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/[EMAIL PROTECTED]

  **Breaking News!!**

  I have just received three more copies of bugbear and the list
  server received one. Since all four were attached to a copy of the
  December 11, 2001, Volume 2001: Number 323, FjordHorse List Digest
  we can narrow down the person with the infected machine a bit more.
  They were a subscriber to the Digest version of the list on December
  11 2001, and still have a copy of that day's Digest on their hard
  drive. If this describes you and you are not running current
  anti-virus software, you may well be infected.

 --
Steve McIlree -- Pferd & Skipper -- Omaha, NE/Las Cruces, NM, USA
 A canter is the cure for every evil. --Benjamin Disraeli(1804-1881)