This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<< I classical dressage we have found that the general
conception of lunging, to most people not in the know, is to
mindlessly set the horse to running around them, brain off,
in a circle on 'a giant leash.'
Not so!
Proper lunging, taught by someone who does know the original
purpose, teaches the horse to walk, trot and halt before you
ever get on. It teaches collection, proper balance and basic
obedience. >>

       That is so true.  At my previous stable (a Hunter/Jumper show barn
with lots of ponies) I was the "Pony Tamer/Lunging Queen", and worked with,
usually, half a dozen ponies on a daily basis.  I always got strange looks
from the Dressage riders when I would be long-lining a super-fancy small pony
on the bit, having her go through her entire routine on the ground.
       She was at her best for her young riders right after I would work with
her, making for great experiences overall.  Another one I trained was very
green and all she knew about lunging was, like you said, running around at
the end of the line like a maniac.  It took a long time but now she's an
incredible lunger.  She's the one I'm most proud of, as she knows a dozen
voice commands and she's heavenly when free lunged.  However I got so close
to her that I had to buy her...

       With the Fjords it's been a little bit different, at least with
Torden, as he hates to be lunged in a bridle.  He pulls and pulls until the
session is over.  However, in a halter or cavesson he's a dream.  He ground
drives beautifully in a bridle, but for some reason the circle just doesn't
work for him.  Go figure.
       One of the older Fjord geldings I worked with loved to be lunged and
knew the basic voice commands pretty easily.  He would pull a little bit, but
not much.  Usually though he was pulling me towards the jumps in the arena -
his passion was jumping on the lunge line.
       The other older Fjord gelding was different from both the other two,
as his conformation didn't allow him to canter and he would just fall apart
every time I tried to lunge him.  Unfortunately I couldn't work with him as
often as he needed it, but I'm sure with consistent work he would have
improved his balance.

 - Jamie