This message is from: bolinsj <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Carol,
I use a backbrace every time I ride or drive. My Dr. recommended it after I started having back problems and bruised kidneys from riding a previous (not a Fjord) pony who was extremely rough gaited. It was a conformation problem with the pony, but he was an aged rescue and I didn't want to part with him. The brace really helped with the muscle spasms I used to have. Don't know if it has any effect on bruised kidneys or not, but have not had the problem recently. I bought a pretty good quality 'riding back brace' with the flexible support. I think the cost at the time was less than $70. It is quite wide and fits me like a corset (sp?). Don't know what they run nowdays and this was a while back. I have had two horses/ponies since the little rascal who caused the problems and I haven't even tried riding without it. I am afraid to give up the brace, as the muscle spasms were debilitating. I do not find it uncomfortable although it is hot in the summer. We have even jumped using it. Martie in MD - who probably does not need a brace for Kilar, but why take the chance? It's like the hard hat; just part of the tacking up process.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

A while ago everyone (or a lot of us anyway) admitted our ages on the Fjord list. As I recall there were a bunch of us who are, let's say, a tad over 40. Have any of you used a back brace for riding? Are they worth the money? Which kind is the best? Is it even possible to ride properly while wearing one?