This message is from: Nancy Newport <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hello all...

With the sweating issue on the list again, I
though I would give an update on my foal Jagr.

He didn't sweat until he was 4 weeks old and was
very uncomfortable before that time, panting and
needing to be clipped and hosed to keep his
temperature down. Well he's now 3 months old and
his sweat patterns are just like the other horses
(2 Fjords, 1 small pony, 1 TB and 1 TBxBelgian).

In the Florida heat and humidity right now they
usually sweat on their necks and between hind
legs, back of ears, etc. while standing in the
pasture in the heat of the day.  I was happy to
notice that when they get to running around they
all break out in a sweat pretty much all over,
Jagr just as sweaty as everyone else.

He has also attached himself to my older TB mare
and hangs with her more than his mom, so I guess
she will be his nanny when the time comes to
wean. I have only had one other foal (a non
Fjord) and she was weaned at about 7-8 months,
but spent time with her nanny (a gelding) before
that when her mom was busy working.

I am trying to decide what to do with Jagr, of
course we're attached to him and he is so very
nice, but I think I want to breed both my Fjord
mares next spring and my draft cross, so I could
have three babies hopefully at once. I also
prefer driving mares and my mare pair is just
getting started, so I may offer Jagr for sale.
I'm toying with the idea of fed-exing an ad for
this issue of the Herald - deadline August 31 I
think. Gosh it's hard to part with any horse,
both the horses I've sold in my lifetime have
gone to perfect homes where I still here about
them to this day.

As for manes, I cut Jagr's at about 2 months as
it was sticking straight up about 5" - he was
very good and didn't wiggle at the wrong time so
it actually looks pretty good. His coat is
finally shedding and he has lots of stripes
popping out on his legs.  They look very black,
but his mom's are brown, I guess they may fade?
He's definitely a brown dun.

As for WNV - he got vaccination #1 two weeks ago
with no problem, I also had his mom vaccinated
twice last fall and once this spring while she
was in foal with no problem. None of my horses
have shown any reaction to the vaccine.

Hope everyone had a great summer, I'm just
getting ready to start driving again for our
season this fall, winter and spring. I'm hoping
to do some events with my Fjord mare pair this
year which means the draft cross will have some
time off.  My husband has been doing some work on
my carriage to get it spiffed up for pairs
instead of a single. I'm also looking for a cut
under wagon or wagonette as I seem to get pressed
in to carriage rides for our school and church
frequently.  Anyone in the southeast have
anything like that please let me know. Need it
for the pair of Fjords and a single warmblood
type.

Thanks for listening,
Nancy Newport
Gainesville, Florida