This message is from: GAIL RUSSELL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>> This message is from: "Oscar and Shirley Anderson"
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>
>> Fjords for kids?  ....<>..... I realize that not every Fjord makes a safe
>and dependable mount for a
>> child, but the temperament of this breed does lend itself well to use by
>> inexperienced riders.....<>.......

You know, it dawns on me that FJord breeders and owners can do something to
make Fjords even more safe and dependable (for kids and adults)  by always
demonstrating safe horse handling and training methods.

For example, Beth Beymer rode Romulus in a helmet at the Buck Brannaman
clinic.  NOT exactly "cool" behavior at a natural horsemanship clinic (I
think she may have been the only person there in a helmet, save possibly
some obviously very new and very inexperienced horse owners.)  But...in
doing so, I would wager that Beth has made it psychologically possible for
ten other Fjord owners to wear helmets, even in situations where no one else
will.

Similarly, when the "four-up" driving demonstrations are done at Libby, the
safe harnessing practices and use of helmets by the exhibitors must have an
effect on the safety practices of new and potential Fjord owners.

If you think about it...safety IS one of our best marketing tools...so we
have everything to gain by enhancing the "safer" Fjord temperament by
modifying our own behavior to encourage safe practices by all Fjord owners.

Gail

Gail Russell
Forestville CA
[EMAIL PROTECTED]