This message is from: "Frederick J. Pack" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

On Saturday, always the third weekend in July, our little city has the
annual Hand Car races.  Teams of men/women compete against the clock
(over a closed course) hand pumping an old rail car common up here years
ago when the mines were booming.

Wilkeson, Washington is a sleepy ex-coal mining city on the Northwest
face of Mount Rainier.  On that Saturday, however, the city explodes
with visitors for the Wilkeson day's festival.

The day begins with a canon shot, signifying that the parade is about to
begin.

We were the only horses in the parade.  Four of our beautiful mares
showed off the attributes of the Norwegian Fjord Horse....except in
front of the grandstand.

The parade was composed mainly of old vehicles.   A beautifully restored
1928 Model A preceded us.   Lois followed us with our Kawasaki Mule,
equipped to pick up any "left-overs".

I tenderly refer to our kids as computers (input/output processors).

Each person filed a written narration about their entry.  I wrote a
brief description of the breed which the announcer was supposed to read
as we stopped in front of the grandstand.  As he began the narration,
the girls (in unison) all decided that the proper time for the output
procedure had arrived.   It blew the announcers mind.  He got flustered,
lost his place in the narration, cut the narration short (but did not
shortchange the horses), and began to extol the virtues of the
Picker-upper (Lois) cleaning up behind.

Lois got more applause than we did.

It was great fun for all of us.  With all the oooga horns, sirens, and
noise...our girls didn't even blink.  We were so proud of them.

When we finished the parade route, and doubled back....the girls had had
enough.  It was time to go home.   We rode, at a walk, down from our
mountain to (and in the parade).  We came home at a trot or gallop.

We had at least a hundred people ask us about the Fjords.  It was a
great promotion for the breed.  Many people took pictures of their
children sitting on our girls while we were waiting for the parade to
start.

We had a blast.

Fred

All Mail is scanned in AND out by Norton Anti-virus.

Fred and Lois Pack
Pack's Peak Stables
Wilkeson, Washington 98396