This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

In a message dated 7/1/02 10:15:59 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> "1.Effective January l99l, all stallions transporting semen for AI
>
>    breeding must file an application for a Semen Transport Permit and
> be
> assigned a Semen Transport Permit Number prior to the transport    of
> semen. This number must appear on the required NFHR forms
> accompanying
> each shipment of semen and on all appropriate    paperwork. Each
> stallion
> will pay a one time Semen Transport       Permit Registration fee.

Here's another 'bee fer yer bonnet' - a short time ago I wrote a note to the
Digest regarding having to use artificial insemination to cover a nasty mare
that had come to my barn for breeding.  This mare fought the stallion's
attention so the only alternative was to collect the stallion and inseminate
her with the raw semen.

I had not paid for a semen shipment permit on my young stallion, Johan, since
I really didn't intend to offer cooled, shipped semen with him until we
figured out how to do this more successfully with Fjords.

After I wrote that letter on the Digest, I received a note from Mike saying
that I needed to pay for a semen transport permit because the BOD had decided
that 'semen transport' meant everything from ACROSS THE ROOM to across the
world!  That seems like a STRETCH to me.  I know that there are folks out
there who ONLY breed by on-site AI and I believe there will be more doing
that procedure in the future.

I guess I am willing to go along with that part EXCEPT that the way the rules
are currently, a vet must sign forms each time for AI with 'shipped semen'.
It's rather unrealistic for folks who are doing their own AI on their own
farms to have to pay a vet to be there.

Am I misunderstanding?

It isn't an issue for me at this point because I do use the vet to do all of
this, but certainly have contemplated taking the courses at CSU that
Catherine mentioned.  Perhaps the BOD should revisit that issue at sometime
in the near future?

I have sent my $100, Mike.  The check's 'in the mail'.

Thanx,

Gayle Ware
Field of Dreams
Eugene, OR