This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I've read most of the pros and cons and have to say that I tend to side with
knowing what the price is as a first question.  It does save a lot of time.
I could spend hours picking an owner's brains about the beauty and lineage of
his horse, its potential and so on.  But it is all a waste if I am drooling
over a horse I in no way could even afford.  Then it is just an exercise in
fantasy.

I believe price does reflect breeding and training as business parameters.
You can't reasonably expect to be reimbursed for all your feed and
Ivermectrin and hoof trimming.  But if you have sent your horse to a good
trainer, or taken a series of productive lessons, or originally have a horse
with some desirable genetics, it should be the basis of your price.  If the
Buyer isn't willing to take those things into account then they can find what
they are willing to pay for.

Asking "What is your life worth?" would raise the price of many good horses
and send many others to slaughter.  Horse sports are not to be taken lightly.
 However, what is flat-out dangerous to a green rider is not necessarily so
to an experienced rider/trainer.  I believe the seller has an obligation to
disclose their animal's quirks and bad habits as well as their wonderful
markings and topline.  It is all in an effort to "marry" the horse to the
person best suited for it and the other way around.  IMHO.

Pamela Garofalo