This message is from: "David McWethy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I know some on this list read the CD-L, but want to mention that I had
competed four in hand at Gladstone last weekend.  Well, in a way, we
competed, since we were the only four, put in with pony pairs, two of them.
We competed as the Camptown (Harness) Four.

I wrote the following just after returning, Sunday night:

Dave Hirsh and I entered our team of his two Haflingers (on wheel) and my
Fjord mares (lead), and I drove.  (Dave and I have driven this four on and
off, and I practice with my own at home)

I'll skip a lot of details, to keep brief.  This was my first time driving a
CDE with four.  I could have easily used another six months getting ready!
Yesterday we drove dressage and cones.  Dressage went better than I
expected, with the horses actually at times all four bending through the
circles, and generally cooperating.  I had a couple of moments of disarray,
but actually got a comment from a judge that we drove an accurate test,
though subdued (I was trying to keep control), "could have used more
impulsion" (maybe better not!).  I was pleased with the bending.  Afterall,
people will struggle to get one bending!

On to cones.  I went a very conservative slow pace, as there were some sets
of cones a little tight for four.  As I went through I had no idea if I had
leveled half of the cones, and hoped it was better than that.  When we were
done, I learned we had only one knockdown, which was most pleasing.  We
finished exuberant.

Today we did the marathon, and had to get humble all over again.  The horses
were perfect and responded to every cue.  I, however, found the necessary
quick transitions in the hazards very challenging, and went a very
restrained pace.  We went successfully through the first four hazards, and
decided to withdraw in #5.  We were facing a gate in #6 that I knew we
couldn't make, and we felt it best to finish on a good note, and spare the
horses.

I had a lot of time to think about it on my solitary trip home.  Firstly I
felt a profound appreciation of our horses.  They gave their very best, and
even did their best to find the right way when guidance from me was
imperfect.  In hazard 4 we overshot a tight turn, and they impressed us all
that they stayed quiet, and I actually was able to back them up and make the
turn.

The people team - Dave, Kurt and Vicky - were a total joy to work with.
They knew what to do, and approached the task in the right spirit - to have
a good time and enjoy each other and the horses.  It is rare to have that
much talent on one team.

Other thoughts.  I came away with a fresh appreciation of the experience of
a beginner in competition, perhaps similar to some who had come and done
Training with a single for the first time, hoping to get it right, and make
it home intact.  Those folks are special, for the big jump they are making.
They deserve all the help and encouragement we can give them.

Thinking more about the horses, at times I undoubtedly confused them, as we
all do sometimes.  I thought about how difficult it is to drive a confused
horse (whether from inadequate training, or unclear cues), and how easy to
drive the one that clearly understands what to do.  So much of driving is
just not confusing the horse.  We had times when everything went right, and
that was indeed thrilling, and others where I made it challenging for the
horses.  Nonetheless, they came off the course quiet and willing.  I am
moved by their courage and trust.

I have new appreciation for the mental and physical effort the team drivers
put out.  I can only feel awe at the team drivers who drive fast and smooth.
If it ever looks easy, it is total illusion!

Thanks to management.  Sharon Gorry went out of her way to accommodate us,
and Barb Haertlein, as TD, was very supportive.  It was a wonderful
experience I am most grateful for.

Dave