This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

In a message dated 6/4/2002 5:05:05 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> I've heard that Fjord's do not take a standard semi
> quarter horse tree (too narrow for them.)

I have a custom made (by my Dad & me!) western saddle on the Modified QH Bars
(often called 3/4 bars or "semi" QH bars) that fits our fjords just
wonderfully. The bars are short, and it's built with small round skirts.

Some things to consider: If your Fjord is VERY fat - and lets face it, a lot
of the Fjords out there are - and you get a super wide tree to fit him now,
what happens when you get him fit and he no longer has that pudgy wide back?
You end up with a saddle that will cause damage to his back.  It's my opinion
that our Fjords are not any harder to fit with a saddle than any other breed,
if they are kept at a proper weight. Do you ever watch old western movies
from the late fifties / early sixties?  Check out the big ol' porky horses in
those flicks - that's the style of horse they started making the "full QH
bars" saddles for.  Those trees do NOT fit many of our modern day QHs, unless
they are VERY overweight.  So, instead of buying wider saddles, it's my
humble opinion that "We" should be concentrating more on keeping our horses
at proper weight. Yeah... ours get as porky as the rest over winter. ;)

Respectfully,
Amy

Amy Evers
Dun Lookin' Fjords