This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Aimee,

I did surgery today on two different foals with the same problem.  If the
angle is not too bad it may correct on its own, maybe with corrective
trimming.  If it has a significant amount of angle then surgery may be
needed.  It is a simple procedure to stimulate the growth on the outside.
 Severe angles require a more involved surgery requiring wires or staples
implanted on the inside to slow the growth there.

Some time there is no bone problem, just joint laxity which they will out
grow.

Either way, I would limit the activity of the foal.  Having it run around
on the crooked legs could damage the joints.  Confine it to a stall or
small pen until you and your vet decide what to do with it.  No hurry to
do anything.  I usually give them a month before making any plans.

Steve White, DVM
Waterloo, Nebraska