This message is from: Marsha Jo Hannah <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> "Jean Gayle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> If the Taki Aka Prze has different chromosomes than the horse is it in the
> same line as the Zebra?

Nope.  Zebras have radically different numbers of chromosomes.

One of the benefits of being an electronic packrat is that my disk
retains all sorts of tidbits.  Posted on rec.equestrian many years ago:

: From "The Horse", multiple authors, ISBN 0-7167-0491-9 :
: Table 14-1:
:
: Scientific name              Common name or names  Diploid# of Chromosomes
: --------------------------------------------------------------------------
: Equus caballus, przewalskii  Przewalski's horse             66
:
: Equus caballus               Horse                          64
:
: Equus asinus                 Donkey, ass                    62
:
: Equus hemionus               Onager, kiang,                 56
:                              Asiatic wild ass
:
: Equus grevyi                 Grevy's zebra                  46
:
: Equus burchelli              Burchell's zebra,              44
:                              Damara zebra,
:                              Chapman's zebra
:                              Grant's zebra
:                              Boehm's zebra
:
: Equus zebra                  Mountain zebra,                32
:                              true zebra,
:                              Hartmann's zebra

The odd thing about Przewalski's horse is that, when they are bred to
"regular horses", the offspring are fertile.  Apparently their 66
chromosomes have a group of 62 that are very similar to the same ones
in horses, while the other 4 are "broken in half" versions of horses'
other 2 chromosomes.  This would indicate that they were, until fairly
recently (in geologic terms!), the same species, but that Przewalski's
horse "spun off" somewhere along the line.  Anyway, they're not
closely related to modern Fjords, or any other equine.

Marsha Jo Hannah                Murphy must have been a horseman--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               anything that can go wrong, will!
15 mi SW of Roseburg, Oregon