This message is from: "mom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Thanks for your kind words, Ann!  I did see Van Zimmerman as he was leaving
to go out on the marathon.  Linda and I finished up about noon and headed
for home (after the front loader pulled our rig out of the mud!) before the
rest had gone--got home about 8, but at least it was still daylight.  Re:
Navigating.  It is a blast.  I don't have a horse of my own that I can
compete at CDE at this time (I do have a wonderful fjord gelding, but we're
not ready for that yet--and he's almost as old as I am to boot!), BUT the
challenge of figuring out the hazards and pacing the horses is such an
interesting thing.  I absolutely love it. To say nothing of the adrenalin
rush. This is the second time I've 'gatored at Lord Stirling for Linda (she
drives a buckskin Morgan named  Yukon Gold aka Kody) --she's been competing
in this sport for 20 years, so is a great teacher/mentor.  I 'gator
primarily for Marsha Korose and her marvelous fjord pair--Ulend and Solvar.
We've done ADTs and last spring our first CDE at Elk Creek where Marsha won
training pair pony.  And we'll be there this year --  I'll be at My Lady's
Manor in May with Linda, and as 'gator for Mary Jo Graber and her
mustang/percheron Smokey at the Laurels.

It requires balance and muscle and a sense of the physics of things to
'gator and you know how much work is involved in that kind of a
competition--but the camaradery, the delight in the wonderful horses, and
the fun is just indescribable.  Although with the _weather_ at Lord Stirling
this year, it might be considered mass masochism!  COLD and WET and SOUPY.

I did get a couple of pictures of you and will send them on when we get back
from vacation next week and I get my camera unloaded.  Also, did you notice
that the competition program featured a painting of a fjord on the cover,
that Beval Saddlery's add featured a fjord, and that the center picture
section also showed a fjord (I think it is you!).  A pretty good showing.

You all did yourselves and the breed proud!  Sue

This message is from: "Ed Sullivan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Thanks Sue, for your kind words after Lord Stirling, I didn't get to visit

with you, as is so often the case at shows --

Magz and Ree had a great first time out, they have a wonderful bond. We are

all sooo proud of the kid, and her horse.

There was one other fjordhorse there, Van Zimmerman's lovely mare Tasja, who

is currently pictured on the NFHR homepage. She is a big strong

Hjerter-Knaecht granddaughter, a very nice mover -- he drives Prelim.

Maryke and I slipped to fourth place after marathon, we came in 30 seconds

late. The conditions were challenging, to say the least, so I drove "for my

horse, not the clock," to paraphrase Pam Pruitt. We came in on time in

sections A and D, but I didn't push her in section E, it was pretty tough

going out there, and we were the first ones out on the track !! Must have

really been crazy later in the day when you went out (Everybody, Sue is too

modest to mention that she navigated for her friend Linda Kalman and her
pair

- -- what a woman!).

This was Maryke's first and only "real CDE" -- I am so happy with her

condition and work ethic at 19, and after so many foals -- she recovers

beautifully after the stress of marathoning -- we passed the vet checks with

flying colors, which was about my only goal for this season! From now on she

will only be asked to do shorter distances like driving trials and club

drives. Biddy took her to an arena trial earlier this spring, and will drive

her at Haddam Meadows, a local trial, in May.

Going outside now to polish the brass on the road cart -- we didn't use it

because of the conditions, but it was sooo wet this weekend I have to

re-polish and re-Saran Wrap it before storing -- dang, showing is taking up

all of my driving time again !!!

Happy spring,

Ann S. in CT