This message is from: "Gail Russell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Well....I did a little research on Carol's assertion that size does matter.
Looks to me like she is right. I did not immediately find anything to back
that up in the horse-related literature, although the breeding soundness
exam for a stallion does include a minimum size requirement.

However, in a ram's breeding soundness exam, there was a notation that
greater size is positively correlated with greater fertility, and possibly
even greater fertility in the female offspring of a lamb.  See below:

Given that sheep breeding is all about fertilit(more so than the multitude
of things we select for in horses) it is logical that the sheep industry
would be more likely to make this correlation

"Scrotal circumference (width of the testicles at the widest point) should
be measured as it gives a good indication of a ram's breeding ability. Sperm
production is directly correlated to testicular width. Scrotal circumference
will vary with season and body condition, but should be at its maximum peak
during the fall breeding season. Ram lambs with a scrotal circumference of
less than 30 centimeters and adult rams with a scrotal circumference of less
than 31 centimeters should probably not be used for breeding. There is some
evidence to suggest that rams with larger testicles will sire more prolific
ewes.

75% White Dorper Ram

Scrotal circumference is a good
indication of a ram's breeding ability.