This message is from: Genie Dethloff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Karen,
I'm sorry that my response made you so hostile. I am not a dressage snob, but that is the riding I choose to do for my own rewards and I am not very accomplished at that. I board at a mixed barn and have friends that ride western and have wonderfully trained horses that go in ported bits, but they do not ride with continual contact and their bit and/or curb are not engaged all the time, just the short times that they need it. We also have hunt seat riders using all kinds of snaffles and Kimberwickes bits. Most of them do not ride in the frame that seems to be preferred for the NFHR english test which is based on a dressage test. In the NFHR test the horse is judged on flexion, bend, roundness of back and acceptance of the bit (copied from the scoresheet).

As I remember when a very good fjord trainer rode a stallion in the intro english test the judges marked the stallion down on acceptance of the bit. The trainer had him beautifully accepting of the bit as in not resisting and responding very well, but he was not as fully on the bit as they wanted. It seemed that the judges were looking for the same things as a dressage judge looks for in training and first level tests.

I think some low ported bits that allow tongue room are very kind; actually many snaffles are now coming in curved versions to relieve tongue pressure and follow the contours of the horses mouth better. In response to Amy's quest for a low ported eggbutt, try Myler bits.

I think bits with curbs, for english riding where contact is required (versus pleasure riding) is fine with double reins so that the curb is not engaged all the time. If pelham bits are used, I personally feel they also are best with double reins as they were designed so as to have separate snaffle and curb effects, not with one rein on the bottom ring. When dressage riders use a double bridle, the ported curb bit is not engaged all the time but the snaffle bit is.

Also I am not sure what people are proposing should be acceptable bits: Any curb bit, Any Kimberwick, any Pelham, how large of a port - just relieving tongue pressure or action on the roof of the mouth, how long a leverage arm, where should the reins be attached, should there be one rein or two, are rein converters to go from two reins to one rein allowed?

As far as letting the judges decide who is not riding well in their bits, that is fine. I think riders would appreciate getting proper guidance in how they should train their horses to be successful in the evaluation rather than being excused from the ring.

If NFHR wants horses that go in any english frame and only require that the horse not resist the bit, then we should rewrite the test to make that clear. If you watch Morgan hunt seat classes, the horses look very different than in an open breed hunt seat class and that breed club has decided that is acceptable. If the standard is comparable to a training level (intro english) or first level (advanced english) dressage test (plus trail and jumping) then that is how the horses need to be trained and acceptance of the bit means on the bit with contact. If the test is for the "average person who rides frequently" to be able to do well and the standard is not the same as in the dressage test, then the guidelines and rules need to make that clear. I know our evaluation is different in that the evaluators try not to penalize the horse for riders mistakes, if the horse demonstrates what the evaluators are looking for.

As for the Spanish riding school - anyone who has their skill and training (two years on the lungeline exclusively to develop a great seat and hands) and who is expecting such elevation and collection from their highly trained horses, can use a "stronger" bit much more successfully than most of us can.

This message is from: "Karen McCarthy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Genie, have you thought at all that there might be riders out there that
for whatever reason use a mild curb bit to ride their horse in English
tack, and KNOW how to use one? By your reasoning I suppose we should not
allow ANY curb bits, for ANY of the NFHR tests as they brutalize the
horses mouth. Pshaw! Go tell that to the Spanish Riding School, ok? It
ALL signal: if you are reefing on a horse's mouthÝw/ a snaffle, IMO this
is just as disgusting as reefing on a horses mouth w/ a curb and one s/b
given low marks or even excused from the arena (and told why).

let's do provide reasonable, useable and realistic guidlines in bitting,
but let'sÝallowÝthe judges decide which horse is going correctly, OK? Not
you, not I. if someone thinks they will get better marks by using a curb
bit and then not use it correctly, or overbit the horse, let the judges
mark them accordingly.

Sorry Genie, but I do tend toÝget really riled up about this issue of bit
abuse; as a former 'just English' rider (eventing + dressage) i too had
this mindset. Getting into western riding, and working with some terrific
horsepersons who have ridden western their whole lives, I have "seen the
other side" so to speak.

--
Genie Dethloff
Ann Arbor, Michigan