This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Joe has not cantered much in his 8 years.  But at our Fjord Fest in  June, I
saw that he can canter quite well and pick up the correct lead.  So  I've been
working on it a bit more (and discovered he likes to canter best when  the
lead trail horse disappears around the corner and he needs to catch  up).  But
the gait seems so rough and choppy, especially when compared  to his nice
smooth trot.   Gail mentioned that her Gunthar is  unbalanced at the canter and
it
frightens him, so I am thinking part of our  problem is that he may not have
good balance when cantering with a rider.

How do I go about developing this skill with him?  He is quite  reluctant to
even pick up the canter in the ring, so I have to work pretty hard  to move
him into the canter at all - and I'm pretty sure the answer is improving  his
balance is just more cantering!  Will working more at the trot help him  become
more comfortable at the canter?

Kate and Joe (basically, the best pony ever)