This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

----- Original Message -----
From: lhcarriage <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tuesday, July 25, 2006 1:10 pm
Subject: Driving
> This message is from: "lhcarriage" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> As many know I have been driving for a long time and I agree with
> Lisa that
> a horse ( pony ) needs to learn how to drive single first. I have
> had a few
> ditto
I am taking team driving lessons from an old time driver who has horse
farmed for years using his percheron and shire  draft teams.  This is
in preparation to teaching two of my own to work as a team.  Although
he does advocate hitching a young horse to an older one, he will only
do it if the youngster has first driven single. He always starts a
daily workout for his young teams on a stoneboat so the edge is off
and they learn to stand without fidgeting. His too are trained to
stand for harnessing and he has his own "code" to start them since he
now  drives wagons with lots of kids, who invariably try to make the
horses go on their own. He took me on as a "student" after we both
drove for a reenactment of a stretch of the oregon trail ( about 62
miles over three days with 16 kids)  I drove my Fjord mare single on a
spring wagon with her foal behind over about a third of the trail (
too long for a youngster to go the whole way)  behind the mounted
riders and walkers. We picke
d up the stragglers who were walking   and needed a break .
Thankfully, I completed the trail in my pickup with airconditioning as
the safety pickup for kids who had too much sun.  It was hot, dusty
but a once in a lifetime opportunity for a group of kids .    We
camped out every night.  To make a long story short, he was impressed
with the Fjord and wants to add a Fjord team (mine) to next years
trek.  (probably the only reason he is teaching ME) and he wants to
have someone to help drive when he needs more than one wagon. I was
totally impressed with the manners of his team and how absolutely
responsive they were to voice and lines.  They would freeze in their
tracks when you let up contact or he told them to whoa and stand.  He
really emphasizes this because his kid passengers are so unpredictable
and at the most unexpected times will dart around the horses.  He, in
turn was impressed with the Fjord.  He was surprised that she kept up
with his team and her totally calm dem
eanor around kids, horses and all the things on the trail, especially
with a colt in tow. (The colt by the way was the hit of the drive - I
let the kids name him). (I personally think that he is also impressed
with the short distance from ground to back for harnessing. I can
barely get the harnesses on the big guys, they are so heavy and
thisguy is in his 70s with a bad leg and back.)
Kathy -roasting in SE Idaho