This message is from: "tiakd 14477" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

My neighbor had a 9 month old appaloosa colt running with his Mother and was waiting til he was another month old before having him gelded. His dam ended up getting bred and having a colt 9 months later. Our vet clinic figures 6 months is the safest if they are running with mares. That reminds me of when I purchased my first 9 month old bull who the breeder said may "try" but would be "shooting blanks" She had let her bull run with the cows and never got a cow bred before the bull was 9 months old. That little rascally bull crawled through a hole soo small in his bull pen that if I hadn't seen it I would have believed it and he took off and bred a heifer. As all the other cows I had were bred and only this heifer was open, I figured I'd leave it a couple days before separating him and putting a cow in to keep him company. 9 months later my heifer had a winter calf. ;)