From: Sam Banks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: fjordhorse@angus.mystery.com
Sent: Saturday, October 14, 2006 2:12:43 PM
Subject: Re:Blanketing in winter

This message is from: "Sam Banks" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I foxhunt my two Fjords through the winter in Tidewater area of Virginia. I
mostly deal with winter daytime temps in the 30-45 range, so rain is the
enemy, not cold. Over the past 5 years I have tried different clips, each
has advantages and disadvantages. When I take more hair off, they don't
sweat as much and are easier to get the mud off, but I have to blanket more,
and vice versa if I leave more hair. The past 2 years I've done a full body
clip in early September, and a high trace clip in early October. They still
get pretty sweaty hunting in October in the 70's, but I don't have to
blanket them for most of the winter except for rain. The year it stayed hot
later into the fall, I did hunter clips in October, they didn't grow back
enough, and needed more blanketing. My horses seem to slow their hair growth
around middle of November, so if you don't want to blanket, clip in October,
not November like most show people around here.

My favorite turnout blankets are the Rambo Wug style. The longer neck keeps
my horses drier and I have less fitting problems and rubbing in the
shoulders, but my horses are a lighter build, not drafty. I prefer the two
surcingle style, not the new 3 surcingle style. The Rhino fabric line is not
as sturdy as the original fabric, but in the lightweight makes a great rain
sheet for warmer days. I haven't tried their Amigo line. I try to buy at the
end of the season sales but they are worth the money to me. Most Fjords need
a 72", my 13:1 Fjord wears a 69", and my 14:2 Fjord wears 75" to keep them
dry by completely covering their rear. Both my horses are very good about
their clothing, and I'm still using Lilly's first blanket of 9 years old
with no repairs other than surcingle hardware.

Another necessity for me is to have a type of sheet that pulls the moisture
off the horse to cool it out and for the trailer ride home after the hunt. I
love my Rambo Armadillo sheet, but could only find it in 66" closeout. I
also like the polarfleece type sheets. Both are light enough to get into my
home washer. I bought Saxon Fleece Sheets by WeatherBeeta this year, so both
my girls have new plaid sheets for showoff at the hunts. WeatherBeeta
blankets are also generously sized.

On hunting days when it is threatening rain (yes, we sometimes get wet) I
use a polarfleece quarter sheet that I can roll up behind the saddle. It
breathes enough they don't get too hot, and it keeps them warm enough
underneath that they keep their own undercoat dry on their rump and sides;
even though the polarfleece doesn't repel rain, it doesn't absorb it either.
Wool would work as well, as it took about 2 hours of rain for it to soak
through my hunt coat, and both fabrics keep you warm even when wet (some
Hunt Masters won't let you wear your Australian riding coat). This year I
will be prepared with Quantum Heat packs http://www.quantumheat.net/ in my
coat pockets for that Master and joint meet.

Sue Banks with Silija and Lillehammer clipped and ready to go.