To: <fjordhorse@angus.mystery.com>
Sent: Tuesday, November 14, 2006 6:14 PM
Subject: "Their" people & the moose story

This message is from: "Pat Holland" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Funny you should mention "Their person"...

OK...this is a good time to tell you about the moose story -

First of all - those of you who live out west - are lucky indeed. beautiful country. I had never been across the Rockies - when I worked between Denver and the Springs I showed horse in Estes Park and Loveland - but people said I wasn't really in the mountains - I see now after going to the Sun Valley area in Idaho - I wasn't.

So...I was impressed....but what really seemed to trip my trigger was the clear CLEAR streams you all have out there. I mean crystal clear - so the one day I took Hostar out for a ride - and let me say right now - I come from Northeastern Pennsylvania - even as a kid it became a sister community to New York City. So.....you might as well say I was born - city. The wildest things I ever saw where in the theater, off Broadway. Well, we did have this one cousin that was pretty strange, but he was from Brooklyn.

So Hostar and I were very calmly walking along a path alongside a beautiful crystal clear stream - on the other side was a flat field with irrigation "things" all around it. The mountains - opps they call them hills out there - were all-around us - it was like 3:00 or so in the afternoon....I was relaxed....actually half leaning toward the stream cause you could see the fish... I was like,...this is cool.

In an instant Hostar stopped,...cold.... and stood so still - like a rock.....then he did a "whirly-thing" - can't call it a bolt, cause I stayed on his back - which I am known not to when a horse bolts - he whirled around and then....rock again...and starred into the creek side and there....stood the biggest black thing I ever saw - not more than 20 feet away - moose are not soft brown and cute. They are huge and very unhappy looking. This fellow was B I G ... and the black....no one ever said they were soooooooooo black. And he just stood there...no move....it was like it was a stare down with him and Hostar - "interesting" I thought....the city side of me said "get out of there".....the Mary Ofjord side of me said - "oh we see them all the time" ... it's no big deal.... then a voice inside me said ; " leave...." But I could tell going back to the path - closer to Mr. Moose was not a good idea - now I don't know where that voice came from - but I think it was a good voice......so we went on thru the flat field - but there was an irrigation ditch and these pipes all around it - at that point Hostar took care of his person - well,...in my humble opinion he did it with the moose too..... I wasn't afraid on him - I could not have been with a better living being than with him at that time. I swear if I was with a hunter with a fully loaded 22 and nineteen secret service people about (Dick Cheney I guess lives, or stayed near there) - I would have screamed like a girly girl.

So I said: "Hostar...we have to get out of here somehow".....and we did ...jumped the ditch and the irrigation thingies - and went back to the ranch.

OK...I know you all wanted a story that this moose attacked us and blood all over the place and I pulled a bowie knife and saved the world - but it was a big deal to me.......I was his person..... he took care of me.

Glad to be back in Illinois where the biggest black thing I need to see is just a cup of coffee with no cream.

Pat Holland