This message is from: Jean Ernest <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

When I got Stella she was 9 and in foal. When I started riding her I was a very novice rider. She did not even seem to know HOW to canter but had an awesome trot, faster than most horses could canter or even gallop. She would race around the paddock with this huge trot. Even my riding instructor couldn't get her to canter at first. I started working her in circles at the walk and trot, getting her more supple and low and behold, she started cantering! She would then be ale to canter out on a straight stretch of trail. Eventually my instructor could get her rounded up and into a very nice canter, but I still had trouble, It is amazing what a GOOD rider can do!

My young mare, Anvil's Adel (Leidjo/Anvil's Stina-Rudaren) who is Stella's Granddaughter, can canter easily, is very athletic, she was raised her first two year on a mountain, so is very agile. I have Stella's son, Bjorken, a big 15-2HH gelding, who has some trouble cantering, but I think it is my fault...I actually prefer the trot with him, don't care if he doesn't canter! Oh, he galloped while I was riding him, chasing a moose! (Did he think it was another horse?)

Jean in Fairbanks, Alaska, clear and cold, -28F

Re cantering/ Some fjords find it easier to canter then others. I have never met one that couldn't canter.