This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

we understand your frustration, but this can be done! even with the drafty-est
Fjord! We have found that doing a lot of transition work is the key, as well as
lunge work...we ride at a large lesson/boarding barn, altho we have our boys
BHF Bjorn & BHF Olaf at home here with us...(these guys love to canter in a
free lunge too),  we are the odd Fjord owners among TB's, Arabains,
Andulusians, la de dah,  But just getting them into one step of a canter, then
praise-praise-praise, let them come down to a nice working trot, and then try
it again, I think that the circle aids are the key, once they know that they
are safe in consistant circling - bending- they build confidence. They have
such a thick, strong neck, ...once they learn that they can still be balanced
while bending, wow, it opens up a whole new world. And they will work from the
rear then too. They seem to want to pull from the front, rather than have
impulsion from the rear, altho that may be true of any young horse, !
 they ne
ed to learn this behavior, and a great coach doesn't hurt!!! We live in the
Northeast, and do a lot of showing, we are always the only Fjords represented
at the shows, one of the last 2-phase shows we were at, up near Boston, I
overheard a middle aged rider with her coach, standing behind my son  Paddy & I
as he was waiting to go in for the stadium jumping portion (already got a first
in Training level, Bjorn does a sweet 20 meter canter circle!) and the coaches
student said 'maybe I won't get that Quarter horse, I really like the looks of
that Fjord'...and the coach said ' Oh, you don't want a Fjord, they are too
stubborn' - and I turned around and said, ' Yep, maybe they are stubborn, but
when you, as a rider, get something out of a Fjord, then you know that you are
a really great rider' ...nuff said....gotta love this breed, they are awesome
and bring out the best in us as riders!! best to you, Denise
From: "lgp33" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>