This message is from: Marsha Jo Hannah <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> "kate charboneau" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>�My family�agreed to go on a trail ride with another couple, had agreed upon
> "trail ride rules" since I was worried about the man's idea of safe &
> smart.� He immediately forgot about our agreements; I ended up being
> bucked off my AQHA gelding when�neither he nor I�could handle the antics
> of our trail-ride partners.  [...]
> Since then, I have never gone on a trail ride with anyone besides
> immediate family.� What do others do when�a trail ride gets dangerous?

Yeah, been there.  We had had our Fjord geldings for a few years, and
had done a lot of trail rides with a neighbor on nearby Open Space
lands.  So, when an e-acquaintance suggested meeting her near where
she boarded, to go on a "wildflower" ride, I agreed---with the
understanding that we were strictly walk-trot riders.  We arrived to
find that the "outing" had escallated---our hostess had invited her
boyfriend and another e-acquaintance, who brought her husband and a
friend---so our 2 Fjords were outnumbered by 3 Pasos, a TB, and an
Arab.  My gelding, Sleepy, was rather tense about being with all the
stranger horses (we later figured out that he has "translation"
problems with horses that have "expressive" body language); my
husband's gelding, Rom, became super-tense when he discovered that the
lake we were riding near was "infested" with numerous power boats and
jet-skis (Rom has always had "issues" about small engine noise).  When
we got to the first hill, the other horses all got excited---they were
used to blowing off steam by cantering up it.  In deference to us, the
other riders tried to keep their horses at the trot, which mostly
meant that there were a lot of horse/human arguments going on about
the preferred gait, with the Pasos doing a lot of gaiting, the
unfamiliarity of which served to make our Fjords even more tense.

Things came to a head when our hostess's Arab mare did a bunch of
nose-flip protests, whereupon Sleepy shied violently---sideways about
6' with a 90-degree turn.  I ended up well up his neck and a bit off
to the side; fortunately, his packhorse training kicked in, and he
froze long enough for me to get back in the middle of him.  I
announced, "That does it---end of ride!"; my husband and I dismounted,
bid our hostess good-day, and led our horses back to our trailer.

In retrospect, our calm, quiet Fjords had led us to overestimate our
riding skills.  The fact that we always rode on the same, quiet,
familiar trails near home, with the same few horses, meant that our
boys weren't used to figuring out "new" places and horses.  And, our
boys had both been in Fjord-only homes for most of their lives,
i.e. were "reading" normal expressive hot-horse body language as
extreme threats (which they would be, if one Fjord "said" that to
another).

Fortunately, that day, I realized that things had escallated beyond my
ability to control my horse and to ride-through what he was doing,
plus that he was at the limit of his ability to control himself.  At
that point, self-preservation kicked in, so we got ourselves back in
control (on the ground) and got away from as much of the problem as we
could (the other horses).  We still had to cope with the jet-ski sound
and the unfamiliar surroundings, but at least we and our Fjords could
concentrate on each other and work thru it.

Afterwards, we discussed it with our neighbor/trainer, then started
doing more "away" rides, adding others of her family to the group when
possible.  However, we never worked back up to doing rides with large
groups, or in "busy" parks.  Turns out, we're really hermits at heart,
and enjoy our quiet solitude---as, apparently, do our horses.

Marsha Jo Hannah                Murphy must have been a horseman--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               anything that can go wrong, will!
15 mi SW of Roseburg, Oregon