This message is from: "Birgit Mortensen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

As far as I remember it was Curt Pierce who in July told the list and
especially the people from Northamerica  travelling to the Danish jubilee in
August that they were going to meet the most happy people in the world, i.e.
the Danes ..

Recently more news have been published on that subject.

In the Xmas issue of British Medical Journal (BMJ) you can read an article
(written by a professor, a paediatrician and a director from the University in
my hometown). They have considered a lot of possible reasons for all this
happiness, starting with the old saying 'blondes have more fun' (blond being a
very common hair colour in Denmark). They work their way through 12 possible
reasons.

Their conclusion is very surprising.

Actually we Danes are very pessimistic with very low expectations for the
future. On every single New Years Eve we expect the worst in the year to come
... and when 'the worst' does not happen, we are happy. It is so simple as
that ....

When the article is published in the Xmas issue of BMJ the reason might be
that this issue allows articles about research not based on truly scientific
methods.

Scientific or not ......

When Autumn comes with rain and short days/long evenings a lot of Danes
spirits go down. Already in 1986 one of our melancholic poets - Henrik
Nordbrandt - wrote a poem with the title 'The year has 16 months'  (November,
December, January, February,  March, April, May, June, July, August,
September, October, November, November, November, November). In consequence of
his dislike for our climate (especially in November  and the other dark
months) he has chosen to spend most of his time in the Mediteranian region

Half of the Danes have been coughing and sneezing their way into 2007, so now
of course we are happy that we survived.

All the best wishes for 2007

Birgit

P.S.

The fjords in Denmark have seen no sign of winter yet, no snow and no
temperatures below the freezing point - but a lot of rain. Our exhibition- and
outdoor event-season starts in April and as usual some of us will be in Norway
four months from now  (stallion exhibition, of course)

But before that I will spend some hours in January sending letters to the US
with things I promised to send in October in Winona ...