-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Tamarack Lamb &
Wool
Sent: Sunday, January 07, 2007 3:02 PM
To: fjordhorse@angus.mystery.com; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: re:Despair

This message is from: "Tamarack Lamb & Wool" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

re: the rational behind closing trails to horses....contamination of
waterways with manure is NOT a legitamate reason.  There have been studies
in Minnesota that have found that there is far more wildlife manure
contaminating streams than there is manure run off from farms (and there
still are farms which have run off direct into small streams and ditches
that eventually run into rivers which is much more significant that horse
manure on the trail).  Knowing that the amount of wildlife manure is NORMAL
the itsy bitsy bit contributed by horses along a trail (often far from the
stream and river crossings), is totally insignificant.

IF they are trying to claim horse manure is a genuine problem, ask for
PROOF.  There are ways to measure this (studies where water is sampled and a

count on species specific ecoli is done).  Make sure these measurements are
taken over an entire year's time, not just on one day or one month and to
include wildlife as well as horses.

Hikers might be legitamately upset by mud or erosion.  If so then establish
separate albeit parallel trails or repair the damage.  We have this in some
areas in MN where horse, hiking, and ATV trails travel in the same general
area, but are separate to avoid conflicts.   It does not take much distance
for the second trail to be totally unobservable, so it does not ruin the
experience for the other users.  Erosion can be repaired.  Example are steps

(see our photos page www.tamaracksheep.com ) filled with wood chips.

Travel by horse back is a part of our history as much as travelling by foot.

It is wrong to disallow horse back riding, not to mention the special
circumstances in this case where land was sold for the purpose of developing

horseback riding trails.

Janet

believed to be clean.