This message is from: Jean Ernest <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

A mullen mouth snaffle, with a solid mouth, would be kinder than a single jointed snaffle, but there is no leverage with a snaffle, only a direct pull (shanked "snaffles" are not snaffles, but really are curb bits because they have leverage.) The level 1 Myler comfort snaffle is a good choice, about the same as a french link, and a full cheek Myler comfort snaffle as well as the full cheek French link would be a good choice. The Mullen mouth bit has a curve in the mouthpiece that accommodates the horse with a larger tongue and lower palate, the Glory bits have a mouthpiece that is curved yet angled somewhat between a Mullen and an arch mouth. all depends on which way the curve goes: In line with the shanks, or at right angles to the shanks in the case of a curb bit. Yes, a curb bit can have a mullen mouth. Confusing/? get Dr. Deb Bennet's DVD set, The Anatomy of Bitting", lots of info on bits and the anatomy of a horses mouth and how the bit works in the mouth. http://www.equinestudies.org/cddvd.html#Bitting
Myler has a nice little booklet out also on bits.

I like the Myler bits because they are shaped to fit the horses mouth. I have found that the solid low port mouthpiece with the elbow cheeks or the butterfly cheeks ( both driving style bits) works well for my bit Gelding, Bjorken, the myler bits are thinner which also seems more comfortable for the fjords with less room in their mouth due to the large tongue and low palate. I use the first slot below the snaffle setting in the elbow bit for trail riding, sometimes use two reins, snaffle and curb as in a pelham with the butterfly. I also use the Glory butterfly, but Bjorken seems happier with the Myler low port as he has more tongue room. After watch Buck Brannaman's videos starting the Bridle horse, I would begin a young horse in a myler snaffle , maybe full cheek and teach him to yield to pressure, with a release at the slightest try. I am doing some of that with my 19 year old Bjorken, and he is getting much lighter also!

Jean in Fairbanks,Alaska,   -18 degrees
  RE: bits and fjords
I've heard the Mullen mouth bit mentioned before, but nixed it cause it looked so severe (in my mind).

Is the Mullen mouth a kinder bit but give you the extra leverage on a strong neck? Rubber or metal preferred? I have kind hands with the other horses, but the fjord takes some strength and leg. Meanwhile, ground work and trying to instill a work ethic in a very sweet and cute fjord who would rather eat (!!) continues...I wish I could unlock his mind to be a more willing partner, but if a Mullen is kind and would help, I'd go buy one. Any thoughts appreciated.

  Cheryl in S. Cal