This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Kelly MacDonald wrote:

"For the EPSM horse who needs the truly "high" fat diet, some of them do
much better on more natural sources of fat, even when those sources
(boss, rice bran), bring the total dietary fat below the 20%+ fat that
the more severe EPSM'ers have been deemed to need. Corn oil is "more fat"
- - it's 100% fat vs 35 to 40% for BOSS and rice bran and it weights more
per volume measure (i.e. cup), so it delivers more calories per volume.
However, it's not just calories we're interested in when we're adding
fat, although that's a big reason.  The nutritional value of BOSS is so
much better than oil."

I have 1 Fjord that has EPSM and have tried to keep up with any "new" info on
EPSM and diets. I had never heard that BOSS would help an EPSM horse/pony.
I emailed Dr. Beth Valentine who has been working with EPSM horses for years,
including helping us with Sonnie.
Thought that someone out there that is dealing with an EPSM horse would be
interested in her reply:

"
The black oil sunflower seeds contain up to about 40% fat, so they are good for
horses that won't take in enough fat from oils. I wouldn't recommend them for a
horse that eats other fat sources well, though, just be cause we aren't
entirely sure how effectively sunflower seeds are digested by horses (at least,
I haven't seen a study of it yet). There's nothing else in the sunflower that I
know of that is good for EPSM.

I think I'd stick with your current diet! "

Thanks Kelly for bringing this up - interesting! My Fjord does ok on alfalfa
pellets, beet pulp
and corn oil plus supplements. This is the diet that Dr. Valentine told us
about years ago!

Nancy in NH