This message is from: Starfire Farm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

jerrell friz wrote:

None of these trainers invented the wheel, although they talk like it.
Horsemanship, has been around since the beginning of man and horse. What is
natural horsemanship?
Over the course of the winter, I have been re-reading works on horse training, or horsemanship (if you will) written by men who are considered "masters" i.e., M. de la Guerniere (1688-1751), Gustav Steinbrecht (1808-1885) and works about Francois Baucher (1796-1873) and Nuno Oliviera. A couple of things have struck me, this time around. One is that every one of these people have been adamant that the rider/trainer must have an independent seat in order to be effective and to not damage the horse's mouth by the rider leaning on the reins for balance and support.

The other is that most emphasize working with the horse as he is, a horse, and working with the nature of the horse. No forcing, with patience, and taking the time to help the horse understand what the rider/trainer is asking of it. This, in my opinion, is "natural horsemanship."

I'm not saying that everything they did was correct or beneficial. In fact, there was plenty of disagreement, at the time, with regard to who's methods were correct. Baucher's methods raised, perhaps, the most discussion and criticism (Steinbrecht cautions the reader over and over again that Baucher's methods are wrong and dangerous - and tells the reader why) yet, there are repeated familiar themes which we are still discussing and teaching today. Steinbrecht even describes what might be interpreted as a version of a "one rein halt" that could be used, only by a very skilled rider, under extreme circumstances, with a fractious young horse (in order to avoid being unseated).

I recently picked up a translation of James Fillis (1834-1913) who was a student of Baucher, but who did not agree with all of Baucher's methods. In one section of his book, he describes work with the horse done at liberty (after teaching it to work around him and to come to him with use of a lunge-line) which sounds very much like asking a horse to "hook on" or "join up" or "face up" or whatever you want to call it.

As for Parelli, a lot of the original work, in my opinion, is based on the exploitation (if you will) of the instincts of the horse that circus performers use in their training methods. These methods have been around for centuries. I'm not saying it's a bad thing. In the Parelli programs I have seen of late, there has been much more emphasis on the human's responsibility to learn about what the horse's behavoiral response to the human's request means. This, in my opinion, is much better than what I've seen in the past, which was people getting so involved in the Parelli Process, and in acheiving the required skills in order to climb the "Level Ladder", that they were leaving the horses out of the equation. In my opinion, the marketing that goes along with the process is responsible for the "I want to belong" syndrome that would foster the "Level Ladder" goals, and not being with your horse in the moment.

On another hand, one could look at the Parelli system as a method to "bring horsemanship to the masses." As it is currently, it is de-mystifying (for some folks) the horse-human observation and relationship skills that were attributed to horse whisperers.

Beth

http://www.starfirefarm.com