This message is from: CHERYL GARNICA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

  Condolences to Catherine and Genie.  For many of us, losing an aminal/pet is
equal to loss of a family member.  My heart goes out to you both.

        6 yrs. ago my rescue mutt  blew out a ligament in her hind leg.
Routine fix-it surgery $1000 turned into $13, 000 to save her life; lost leg
circulation, went septic, major organ shut down, doggie ICU.  I had money put
aside for a big down payment on a new truck (my first).... reassurances from
the vet she was young, strong and lots of hope she'd pull through.  Her tail
wags at seeing me...well your know how it is..  Ended up with amputation, but
otherwise a healthy 3 legged $13,000 pooch who several months later,  ran fast
enough to catch bunnies, so I had to tie a bell on her.  (Older now).  I just
couldn't envision driving a new car knowing I let my dog die.  I happened to
have the cash......usually don't.  Had never lost a pet at that time, played
into my decision.   Financial situation differs year to year...not sure I would
make the same decision/gamble with money on a given day.    Good point about
putting away $$ just in case.

       If  a big $$ vet reserve fund was a requirement for horse ownership it
would exclude most of us from owning.   (I'm divorced with 2 kids).  Since
reading everyone's posts, I am seriously considering horse insurance now. 6
yrs. of ownership and sounds like I have lucked out; no problems with my 3.

    My vet is offering the Pfizzer colic program, which I turned down the prior
year.  After reading this, thinking of calling her back now to see if I could
add it on to my preventive care plan.

  Question: the Pffizer plan covers colic only; wondering if money better spent
for all around insurance (accident/medical care coverage, not just colic)?

  Learning alot from everyone's posts.
  Cheryl in S. Cal