This message is from: Silja Knoll <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi everyone,
  My 5 year old Fjord mare has never had shoes on her hoofs and she handles the
rockiest of mountain trails just fine!  Her hoof actually grows so fast that I
have to trim her myself every two weeks!  My farrier comes around every 10
weeks or so to check on us and make sure that I am doing it right.  He doesn't
like to see her get too long, and who can afford a farrier coming every 2
weeks!  I enjoy the training and being that involved in her care.
  My QH/TB mare has been barefoot for 14 months and is doing great.  She
maintains herself without much triming needed, we just keep and eye on her to
make sure she stays balanced.  When the trails get too rocky for her I put a
set of Boa boots on for the day , but I seem to be needing them less and less.
  Barefoot is the way to go!!  For the horses and for the wallet!
  Silja
  Berthoud, Colorado

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
  This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hello listers,

Here at our farm, we have been doing the barefoot trim for about eight years
now. So nice to see the nice round hoof prints in the mud and snow.

Also, at horse shows, it is a change from the high heeled, odd shaped feet
of horses with shoes on, that are obviously moving around in pain!

Our horses are never shown with black painted hooves, no matter where.

Great to see more Fjord owners that are going barefoot-well, horses anyway!!

Regards,
Bernadine Karns
Nottawa Crossing Fjords
Marshall, Michigan
Home of the Fjord Stallion Ivan (by King Gjestar)