To: <fjordhorse@angus.mystery.com>
Sent: Saturday, March 17, 2007 3:31 PM
Subject: encysted small stongyles

This message is from: "Rose or Murph" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi List,

I have been reading about the life cycle of the small strongyle worm. Some of the information I have read says that one treatment of fenbenzadole i.e.: pancure, Safe guard, will not entirely eradicate the worm when it is in the encysted stage. This is when it has burrowed in to the wall of the cecum and colon, and is in the hibernation state before they emerge. During this time, I have read they are somewhat protected in their own bubble of sorts with a
very slow metabolism, so the purge type wormers don't harm them until they
hatch because of the fluid they live in prior to emerging. While they are in
hibernation, they apparently do a good amount of cellular damage, and
irritation which can lead to the unexplainable bouts of colic, diarrhea.
The alarming part is that a healthy horse can be seriously infected, all the
while on a regular rotational de-worming schedule.

Now here is my question. Has anyone ever heard of worming for 5 consecutive
days with a double dose of Fendobenzadole to eradicate the encysted
stronglye? I have come across some articles on the net, and am wondering if
anyone has done it?

Rosemary in Roy...yesterday we had sun and 70 degrees.