This message is from: "jaimie benoit" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hello everyone,

I think that I may have misunderstood a post to the digest yesterday
regarding having a young foals feet trimmed.

In my experience I've never had to have a foals feet trimmed at an age
younger than let's say 6 months.  Our foals grow up on natural terrain, big
hills and wide open spaces which I believe is beneficial to the growth on
the foot.  The terrain they run and play on keeps their feet nice and
strong.

Has anyone had to have their foals feet trimmed at an age younger than 6
months?  If so, for what reasons?

I would suggest that horse owners become familiar with what a foot looks
like that is in need of a trim.  Once you know what you are looking for you
will be able to judge when your horse is due for one just by checking his
feet on a regular basis.

I'd also like to add that there is nothing wrong with picking up your foals
feet at a young age.  Actually, the younger the better.  By the time your
weanling is due for a trim it should be no problem at all.

Kind regards,  Jaimie Benoit- BDF Manager and Trainer