This message is from: Erin Yanish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I know it does refer to "pig eyes"on the NFHR Website (follow the link below
and click on NFHR Breed Standard Document.  It is on page 5 Figure 1B)

   http://www.nfhr.com/newsinfo.html#Documents

   Yes some do have a "pig eye"  which can also be described as a smaller eye,
it is usually narrow looking and higher up.   Fjords are not the only breed to
have this.  It is found across the board.

   I don't think the horses personality or confidence level will have anything
to do with his eye.  I have seen horses who are almost blind be total
sweethearts.  It all comes down to how you treat an animal and thier
experiences, and the desensitizing you do.  Another thing is the animals age.
We had a mare that appeared to have narrower eyes, then she turned 3 and her
eyes look beautiful and bright!  If your horse seems like a dear, just work
with him and determine what discipline would be best for him and sell him for
the appropriate market.  He has a purpose.  It may not be halter class, but
could he could be a great companion to someone.

  Erin Yanish
  Vista Ridge Farms  www.vistaridgefarms.com
  in windy, sunny MN

  dfle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  This message is from: "dfle"

Have any of you heard the term "pig eyes" in a Fjord. I recently had a buyer
come to my farm and saw a young male that was out of a mare I had purchased
(not my breeding). He is a knowledgeable horse person but not necessarily a
Fjord breeder. He stated that this horse had "pig eyes" and horses like that
usually were not as trustworthy because they had an inferiority complex because
they didn't see as well. He had purchased two Fjord geldings (from someone
else) that had "pig eyes" and he never really got them to be the team he wanted
because of their inferiority complex. That was why he had come back to me to
buy some more horses. Needless to say he bought a full brother to another horse
he purchased and left a very happy new owner.

Now, I'm not sure what to do with this horse -- he certainly seems to have a
good nature and doesn't seem to have a inferiority complex and pick on other
horses or seem to spook or anything else.

Any comments or ideas from anyone out there. Guess I didn't know about this
trait in Fjords.

Rosemary

Sent via the WebMail system at cmnt1.c-magic.com